Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Very very roughly, that might involve replacing the car/walk/cycle selector
> with a drop-down menu:

+1 Exactly
Routing on the main site, as long as there is a choice and we do not
become tied to a single solution. Likely with a preference for Open
Source solutions.

> But IMO any effort in this area would be best devoted to fixing Namefinder.
> A decent namefinder is a prerequisite of a routing service anyway.

Namefinder is now running a little better now thanks to some work by
Tom. Reaper script kills slow queries. (>10mins)

I also know of 2 attempts at creating an improved namefinder.
Stefan de Konink (monetdb) and some other chap on IRC (osm2pgsql patch +
postgis).

There is also likely to be some development at the OSM London code hack
weekend.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/London_Hack_Weekend

Regards
 Grant