2009/7/6 Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <ava...@gmail.com>:

> You probably could convince the server admins not to ban you if you
> run this slowly, or set up your own more current Planet mirror
> yourself (or use somebody elses). But as stated above I think it's a
> bit too much trouble over nothing.

Avar's suggestion sounds best.

If you are going to do large bulk API work, it would be good if...:
 - Discussed on IRC or dev@ list first.
 - Use an identifiable HTTP User Agent.
 - Limit the number of simulations requests.
 - Limit the requests to a minimum. (area & number)
 - Pause between requests. (longer better)
 - Use a dedicated OSM account. (especially if doing bulk uploads)
 - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits/Code_of_Conduct
 - Run during non-peak API times. Sunday Night Europe is a peak time.
   See:
http://munin.openstreetmap.org/openstreetmap/puff.openstreetmap-lighttpd_queues.html

/ Grant