>  Am I the only one that cares about this?

No, I'm interested in this too.

If I wanted to know the  primitive which was valid at the certain point in
time, currently I would have to query the whole history with

  /api/0.6/<type>/#id/history

find out the version from the timestamps in the history and then retrieve
the primitive with this version using

  /api/0.6/<type>/#id/#version

The API could be extended with

  /api/0.6/<type>/#id/versions?from=date&until=date

 which would reply all primitive versions in the specified range.

Is there any reason why we can query changesets in ceratain timerange, but
not primitive versions?

-- Karl