Hello,

1) I had a long chat with James Mike about his project.
we basically have a same idea of a "osm-input&output,
tiles-from-stored-osm-output" machine image as to the outer interfaces.
a) James Mike wants osm input&output in git (sftp access) or later some very
light webservice (not the rails port, a custom c++ thing) accepting osm
read/write (eg. from JOSM)
b) he wants a hot rendering (in c++ with a modified mapnik build he's
started work on) of tiles outdated from new osm data. Those tiles would be
served over git or some http daemon

Below, I'm presenting my project's aims which are less demanding in terms of
required speed CPU power (James Mike told me that his solution could
possibly run in embedded devices like a mobile phone !!).

What I'll write replies namely to Emilie's comment on my 2nd e-mail in this
mail discussion.

> Well, one quick point: database performance are going to be bad. Someone is
> currently trying to do something similar in one of the mailing list. Cloud
> vendor are very good for serving content like a web page. They are extremely
> poor for database performance. The IO is usually catastrophic.
> I wouldn't expect any real good performance out of such a system especially
> for rendering. I think that using cloud technology is for the moment at
> least a bit pointless.
>
> Emilie Laffray

For my project (indoor&outdoor mapping of small scale objects (you're able
to see the coffee machine and tables rendered as rectangles or point POIs)
rather small concentrations (eg. spots the size of a building, european-size
(wink to north america :-) ) university campus, or a small city), I just
want a working machine image that's ready to redeploy and takes :
a) josm data as input over http (the rails port fits me for this)
b) a sync between the rails port's db and mapnik's db. So the standard
implementation we don't mind using for now is : mapnik(+postgis) rendering
tiles on demand through mod_tiles,renderd,minutely or hourly change interval
osmosis technique
We don't mind:
1) having perfectly optimized instance images (eg. we'll have <5 buildings
per instance)
2) working on the cloud despite low database IO, as the cloud is
advantageous for us in that we can deploy new instances remotely with simple
scripting (eg. 1 company dedicated building indoor mapping space = 1 new
instance for them, or if we have 5 buildings on each of our instances
already and are requested to host 2 new building's maps, we run another
instance filling it with those 2...). If my project (Geopard) goes into a
start up something, having a dedicated machine instead of an EC2 instance
for indoor&outdoor high precision maps hosting could be part of some
business model.

I would appreciate having either a ready to use :
- "normal" machine image (eg. vmware, virtualbox)
or - Amazon Machine Images (AMI)
... with easy osm input&output + hot rendering into tiles
Please give me contacts of people doing any of the two.

Anyway, we will release by the end of January 2010 an AMI with a "vanilla"
install of rails+timely change interval sync+mapnik, shipping with nice
scripts to install (maybe reconfigure) the server with your settings (eg.
for the rails port, but imagine it for mapnik and the sync part too : just
edit in a single config file your wished rails db names, login+password,
posgres memory limits and rails website login+password accounts, and some
script you run by hand will install the rails port with those settings for
you).
We will try to release in this AMI, some default settings that you can reuse
for having indoor mapping working (ie. tiles rendering with increased max
zoom + 1 floor=1 TMS layer) possibility to disable sea limits & land zones
so that your map is full white/empty at the beginning, possibility to sync
timely only a bbox (not the planet file) from osm.org into your db).

Our scripts will be in Ruby (regular shell ruby, not rails) I think. Who
wants to collaborate on those magic deployment scripts ?
In the end, maybe we could have a vanilla OSM instance be
configured/installed from a php page filled by some enduser, a bit like
tiledrawer does (well.. the config is in JSON data passed to the AMI at
startup, but then you see installation&rendering progress in status.php).

Take care,
Jonathan