Hello!

(ah, another german :-)).

>> I have not yet found a more
>> convinient way than downloading a planet.osm

> You may want to query the XAPI for the relevant data
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Xapi

"Unlike the main API which restricts queries to 0.25 square degrees, XAPI
allows much larger requests, up to 100 square degrees"

So I could not get all capitals in one go but must call it multiple times...
Not nice but doable.

I could ask for nodes of type 'place=city' to get large cities and
'capital="yes"' (if I can judge
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/240109189 correctly) to filter for
capitals (I can add two conditions, can't I?).

Fine, so this may be a way to get large cities, capitals and possibly also
other POIs (while POIs likely do not have a tag for "wellknown").

But how do I get continent and country shapes together with their names (see
my other response)?

--
Gruß...
      Tim.