Hi Folks,

We have submitted an application for OSM to participate in this year's
Google Summer of Code, so next week the people from Google will be reviewing
the application and our project ideas list to chose which organisations to
include in the programme.

Looking at the project ideas list (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GSoC_Project_Ideas_2010) I am a bit
surprised that there are no suggestions for student projects on the 'core'
OSM databases.  The things I wondered are:

   - Are there any areas for development of API version 0.7 that could be
   turned into a project for someone to work on?
   - Would it be worth working on the XAPI server?  We had trouble last year
   with them being down, so I wondered if it would be worth developing a more
   'conventional' postgresql version of the server that we could start-up
   easily if the others fail again?  I started to look at this at the time, but
   didn't get far because I got tied up in regular expressions rather than
   writing a parser myself.....
   - Without wanting to re-open the acrimonious debate again, could we turn
   development of the OSM web site into a project? (would have to check the
   GSoC rules for this, because there might not be much 'code' involved).
   - How about the main editors - JOSM and Potlatch - are there any
   potential projects there?

Please give this a bit of thought, and add any ideas to the Wiki page!   If
you don't have chance to do that, an email to me will do and I will add it.

Thanks

Graham.

--
Graham Jones