Hello Everyone,

I have looked into some aspects of OSM, mostly the rendering and some
of the routing code, and I am looking for some guidance before I go
further.

Background: cycling routes as provided by the City in Calgary suck, so
I would like to provide cyclists here with the opportunity to design
our own (including suggestions for infrastructure). This would be a
two-part thing: providing users the ability to suggest routes
(e.g. draw an overlay on the map, following roads and paths) and
render the "current" route-map like the "cycle map" does. Ultimately,
I would see tagging this information into OSM data itself, but I'm
guessing the in-flux data wouldn't be appropriate...? (i.e. lots of
"potential" routes proposed by users)

It doesn't seem that there's a solution to draw an overlay while
following roads + paths, although there does seem to be good routing
code. So I would see one thing that needs to be done is to hook
openlayers together with a routing server to draw routes something
like how google-maps does it in "My Maps" (i.e. click a few points and
the shortest route between them appears as an overlay). Have I missed
something and there's already code for this?

The other piece would be my own tile-server covering Calgary and
serving bikemap-like rendered tiles with the currently-best routes on
them. I am currently trying to see how best to make this happen, and
since the "cycle map" mapnik files aren't available is the
mapnik-based rendering the way to go, or would osmarender (or
something else?) be better? Spreadnik, maybe? Ultimately, print-ready
output would also be generated.

I would be thinking along the lines of having my own (up-to-date) copy
of the OSM data on a local DB which also contains the information for
users' routes. Is this going to be a nightmare to sync? Should I keep
users' routes separately? (Bear in mind, ultimately I would see adding
"lcn_ref" sorts of tags "upstream" into OSM as this matured).

There's also the issue of the underlying OSM data: sometimes users
will find problems with OSM, and of course it would be best to have
any such edits go live to OSM.

Am I totally off-base here? Or can I just put tags directly into the
OSM servers (and hence just have a local renderer if I want to change
the look)?

Thanks for any thoughts,

--
mike warren