On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> As I said, a cursory glance at the edits in question does not show
> anything which is obviously wrong (viewed from a few 1000 miles away).
> You seem to be sure that he is wrong but you don't have the time or
> patience to explain why he is wrong. What kind of help can we offer you
> under these circumstances?
>
> Perhaps it would be helpful for someone who is not involved to talk to
> the guy and try to understand what he's doing and why, and then mediate.
> But that would also require you, or those who think the edits are wrong,
> to explain what exactly they believe to be wrong.

I'll chip in here with the following observations, based purely on
this email thread:

Firstly, this is not vandalism. This is a "dispute", and will be
handled as such.

To resolve the dispute, both sides need to make their case clear and
public. I would implore you to set up a wiki page to give full details
on the dispute. If you do not have time for this, then do not expect
the dispute to be resolved.

When the dispute has been thoroughly documented (with an explanation
of both sides point of view) then the community can adjudicate.
Whether that's 'normal people' or OSMF working groups or whatnot will
remain to be seen. Preference will be given to the local communities
point of view, if such can be shown.

Finally, bans are there only to interrupt runaway processes and people
- hence why they are of limited time. They are not intended to
prohibit someone carrying out their actions, more to warn them that
they may be inappropriate. They are most suited to bots. Since this
guy has responded to discussion - even if he hasn't agreed with your
point of view - a ban is inappropriate until the dispute process is
followed.

Cheers,
Andy