Hi,
I know a student very interested by developing OpenStreetMap software during
this summer : me !
I've already send a mail to Graham Jones to talk about my situation : I
never contribute to OpenStreetMap. I have always use it, the city where I
live (Grenoble, France) has a lots of interesting tags : all bus stations,
ski piste, hiking routes... and i have done some tests with my OpenMoko.
I am a newbie in developing OSM apps, so I can't do a good proposal.
In the wiki there is a project about a webservice for shapefiles[1]. This
project has no student who wants to get involved for now. This project is :
1) conversion shp=>osm (already done)
2) a webservice to do 1)
3) osm=>shp
4) a webservice to do 3)
I'm interested by this project. Should I open a thread to talk about it (I
have some questions about the languages that I should use, the integration
with the "export" tab...) ?

I have an another proposal : the no-car router. I don't have a drive
license, so I'm a big user of buses, trams, trains... This router has to
deal with forbidden ways for walker and schedules of public transports. This
web-service will use OSM data and a schedule database. Perhaps, the transit
project can [2] give some useful informations.
Do you think it can be a good project ?

Regards,
David Glesser.

[1]