Dear Sir,

As the final hours of the deadline to submit proposal arrives, I would like
to request you to let me know if any more changes or details are required in
the project proposal for GSoC 2010
http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_proposal/private/google/gsoc2010/amit_s88/t127046807631
.

The idea I proposed was to develop a routing application with group connect
feature. Basically it will use OSM and algorithms will developed for the
following:

   1. Find the best suitable path for a journey from source to destination
   point
   2. Also the approximate time for travel will be computed
   3. Additional Group Connect feature (meeting planner)

An Interesting idea proposed by Jean-Guilhem Cailton was to have this app
work through SMS using GeoChat http://geochat.instedd.org/. I looked into
the ways of integrating geochat into my application, I think the way geochat
works it is possible to get Route plan by SMS by using it but we will need
some more features. (I have proposed the idea on GeoChat Feedback forum
http://geochat.uservoice.com/forums/7328-geochat-feedback-forum under the
name Route Plan ) . In meantime we can get a more accurate position of a
member even if has been offline for a long time.

I looked into the Geochat API. By using it, we can create a complimentary
group on geochat whenever users creates a group for group connect feature.To
use this feature user will be provided an option to join Geochat and provide
his geochat alias.User will be sent a request to join the newly created
group on geochat. Since geochat will store the current location of user
whenever user sends a message to it and also forward it to the other group
members ,thus the solution for knowing the current position of user when he
is offline.

But how does user gets the routing plan by sending a message? This is where
I think geochat is insufficient. Unless Geochat adds such a feature this
will not be possible to achieve using the geochat service.

I am currently working on a way to introduce the feature of Route by SMS for
my application without using GeoChat, but will need to test it. I will
update you with the method and its result in few days.

Please comment on the above proposed idea.

Also I can provide with the SRS for my complete proposal if you want( in a
few days time).

Thank You,
Amit Singh