On 9 Apr 2010, at 17:22, Klemens wrote:

> Hi,
> I set up a rails_port on a new server using PostgreSQL 8.3 and imported the
> europe.osm data. Now exporting xml using the 0.6 API is really slow.
> Exporting a file of about 3.2 MB takes 25 seconds. In the development.log
> file I get lines like this:
> [2010-04-09 18:11:21.569386 #27182] Completed in 16270ms (View: 5, DB: 1498)
> | 200 OK
> What other components could influence the time? I'm using development
> environment but changed the settings in development.rb to the same as in
> production.rb

You shouldn't change the settings in development.rb to the same as
productions.rb. Instead startup in production mode:
env RAILS_ENV=production ./script/server
You will need to set the config/database.yml as appropriate.

I presume you are talking about the map call. You will find it is really slow
compared to production. You will find that the C based exporter is much faster.
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/utils/export/cgimap

Shaun