yes, google maps is a reference design - the code accepts any TMS. I'm going
to add a few public domain options (USGS National Map is good within the US,
for example) and an arbitrary TMS/WMS input.

Though i do wonder if there's ownership precedent for derived
orthorectification... makes sense, but how would, for example, Yahoo feel
about it given that they've allowed tracing.

Of course you can also orthorectify against existing OSM data, which is the
default. Kind of chicken/egg, but it's basically allowing you to use a few
GPX traces or what have you as a basis for rectifying a much larger raster
dataset. Some people put big red X's on the ground before taking aerial
imagery, noting their coordinates for this purpose.

Paul, did you mean a place to store the aerial imagery itself within OSM? If
so, you might check out OpenAerialMap, which it seems folks are getting
ready to re-attempt.

Jeff