On 22/09/2010 06:52, Sam Wilson wrote:
I'm currently thinking of changing this mud-map to use the relevant OSM tile as a starting point, and getting the users to sketch in their notes and modifications over the top, and then uploading these modified tiles to our server from where I can use them as backgrounds in JOSM. I'm just wondering whether anyone's done anything like this before.
Take a look at Walking Papers:

http://walking-papers.org/

This does a similar thing, but with printouts that can be given to non-technical mappers to make notes on. You then scan the annotated map back into Walking Papers, which makes it available as a background in Potlatch (or JOSM, if you like).

The printouts are just PDFs, so you may already be able to hack something together using Walking Papers, but certain take a look and talk to Michal.

Jonathan