Nick,
I am sure that all routing programs must do something similar, but last year
Hermann Kraus produced
srtm2wayinfo<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Srtm2wayinfo>for his
Google Summer of Code Project.
It does what you are talking about - looks for junctions between ways and
splits the ways into sections between junctions.   The output is a set of
relations representing each section.
The 'srtm' part of the program is that it will also give you the total climb
in each section too.

Graham.

On 19 November 2010 10:04, Nick Whitelegg <nick.whitel...@solent.ac.uk>wrote:

> I'm wanting to add a feature to Freemap (UK OSM-based hiking site) to allow
> users to tag individual trails with route descriptions, interesting features
> etc - with the eventual aim of allowing users to select a walking route and
> have a ready-made route description (note these descriptions will be stored
> in my own database... no need to worry about overloading OSM with this!)
>
> However, to do this effectively I need to split ways at junctions, e.g. if
> a trail has 3 junctions it should be split into 4 multi-point "segments",
> because a walking route will consist of several of these segments in a line
> or loop. (The more I think about it, the more I think that maybe we should
> have kept segments - the only problem with them was that they were
> restricted to 2 points -but anyway....)
>
> Anyway the crux of the matter is I'm wondering if anyone has a tool to do
> this already (to either write out an OSM file or write to a database) I
> could easily do one myself but obviously if there's something out there
> already I may as well use it.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Graham Jones