Stefan,

Stefan de Konink wrote:
This is the place for the 'too little, too late'. We are beyond the point of 'what' the bitstream should look like: you ought to handle what is defined now.

This is not how we work in OSM. We don't have standards. We can change stuff at any time, and indeed I would not hesitate for a second to change something in the PBF format if it turns out to repair a design problem or bring great benefit. (If it were my call which it isn't.)

I really don't like your attitude. It's great that you took the time to write pbf2osm but it seems you expect to be revered for it. You give the impression of someone for whom coding something is only a means to climb onto a platform from where he can heap spite onto others. (I remember you derogatory comments about C++ while you wrote pbf2osm, and putting comments like "osmosis devs failed to read the specs" in one's code is not exactly a sign of maturity either.)

Then you probably also noticed that it is still a (huge) open question to write a regression testsuite for all parsers and generators. And since the general opinion is now that nobody wants to move until there is a second implementation of osm2pbf (instead of actually switching), everyone is waiting this greatly annoys me and probably not only me but also the guy that actually took great effort to define the protocol and review code of others and answer questions.

What exactly is your problem? PBF is alive and kicking. I'm using both Osmosis PBF support and your implementation of pbf2osm on a daily basis, and many downstream users of Geofabrik do the same.

I find it totally respectless that *you* are now doubting his qualities but didn't step forward when feedback was asked.

Excuse me, but discussing potential problems of a design is not a show of lack of respect - unless presented in a form like the aforementioned "osmosis devs failed to read the specs".

Bye
Frederik