On Thursday 30 December 2010 00:05:12 Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Are you kidding? Thousands of people use the API each day, and nobody
> gets a pony. I consider this a severe shortcoming.

Lacks of ponies might be an item in your wishlist. The bug is that nobody gets
unicorns.

Seriously now.

We wanna focus on the licensing change. Tools for that are gonna eat up
developers' time.

That said: the growth of commercial hardware capabilities is not keeping up
with the growth of data in the OSM database. That means we're pretty much
frakked in two to three years. Which means that the first priority for 0.7
should be splitting the DB out to more than one monster-sized server.

I do think that proper sharding/replication/whatever will need changes at the
API level. I do not completely trust database-level-only
sharding/replication/whatever.

Best,
--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <i...@sanchezortega.es> <i...@geonerd.org>

Un ordenador no es un televisor ni un microondas, es una herramienta compleja.