As I've mentioned on this list, I'm interested in support in JOSM for
the ArcGIS REST API [1], as my location (Virginia, USA [2]) has very
good quality (1ft resolution, off-leaf), public domain imagery, but is
only available via that API.

Ian Dees suggested I extend AbstractOsmTileSource and convert the
requested tile x/y/zoom to coordinates, and then use the export
interface of Arc GIS REST [3] to request the tile. I've implemented
this, and I'm happy to see that the imagery lines up correctly,
however there are gaps between vertical tiles, which you can see in
this image [4]. You can view the code here [5].

Why might this be happening? I'm guessing it has something to do with
projection differences, but I don't really know.

The Virginia ArcGIS REST server uses the Virginia LCC projection, so I
first convert the tile x/y/zoom to WGS84 lat/lon corners, convert
those to Virginia LCC using the Proj4J plugin [6], then submit the URL
to the server.

I know this should be a temporary solution anyways, as I should be
using the tile cache provided by the server, however it seems more
difficult to implement considering the tiling scheme is completely
different than the mercator system used by TMS, so I'd need to do more
than just create a TileSource, but rather assumptions about resolution
and zoom levels must be changed in other JOSM code.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
-Josh

[1]: http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisserver/apis/rest/index.html
[2]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Virginia#2006.2F2007_VBMP_Orthoimagery
[3]: http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisserver/apis/rest/export.html