I initially followed this guide when setting up OSM + Renderd.

http://weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server

I've matched the suggestions made in the guide:

shared_buffers = 128MB
checkpoint_segments = 20
maintenance_work_mem = 256MB
autovacuum = off

I keep hearing debate about autovacum being turned on or off, but that
aside are there any other performance suggestions?

The machine is essentially processing 100% of the time or close enough to it.

Should any of those values be larger?  I have ram to spare, that's not
an issue.. but most guide seem to have those values or similar.
Any particular rule of thumb... or configs that people have found that
work better then others?

--
Samir Faci

Samir Faci
*insert title*
fortune | cowsay -f /usr/share/cows/tux.cow