Dear all!

        I am new to the developers list so lemme first introduce myself.
        My name is Yarik. I am 24. Study Digital Media at HS Bremen /
        Bremerhaven. The main topic of my studies are location based
        mobile games (like Foursquare). Currently I am writing my thesis
        about landmark identification using these sort of games.

        I am considering myself more of a programmer, therefore
        development of osm interests me for quite a long time. But SoC
        actually did the magic kick and led me to the page with
        implementation ideas.
        Checking those ideas out I have found an idea to "Develop a
        Simple Mapping Tool for Mobile Phones". Mostly because of rich
        previous experience, I find it very interesting and would love
        to work on a tool like that within our outside of the SoC.
        Unfortunately I'm a newbie to osm and therefore I cannot judge
        myself the importance of this sort of tool for the osm
        community. Do we really need it? I have seen similar efforts
        from the last SoC.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2010/AcceptedProjects/AndroidPOICollector

        Did they fail? Does it need to be further developed?
        I have also seen several other tools with similar functionality.
        How do you think does it make sense to keep up with the
        investigation of those and submitting the solution idea?

Thanks
Yarik