Seconded.  I have my database on a RAID1 pair of 5.4K RPM drives (which
gives me a speed up in reads and data redundancy, but seems about the same
as a single disk in terms of writes) and am using PostgreSQL 9.0.  Before
the fastupdate patch, one minute of diffs took between 2 and 5 minutes to
apply.  Now my system can keep up with the diffs easily despite constant
rendering on both of the CPU's cores.

Hm,
considering this, it should be possible to keep up on a single disk - or at least be closer to realtime. Would you mind to mail me your postgresql configuration? Maybe I have some serious setup screw-ups here...

Is there some analyzing or vacuuming which would yield serious improvements!?

Thank y'all so far!
Markus