On 28.04.2011, at 13:57, Pierre-Alain Dorange wrote:
>> What kind of processing were you doing? I'm assuming some kind of XML
>> (unless you were using the protobuffs). If thats the case, you can use
>> a simple SAX parser. If you need an example, I'll send you one.
>
> Yes i preprocess XML to extract city data (place=town, place=village,
> etc...) to match them with an official source with population data.
> For that i uses elementTree lib (python) that's fine.
> I don't know about SAX, but i just see that contrary to DOM technique it
> do not need to load the whole XML into memory, so it can be helpful if i
> swtich to huge XML data file.
> I'll check.

If you are using Python, you should use iterparse from the ElementTree API, it
is much nicer and faster.

Here is a complete OSM parser from an earlier version of Imposm:
http://pastie.org/1843106
It just <40 lines of code and can parse arbitrary large OSM files.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Tonnhofer    | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG    | http://omniscale.de