I would like to render some route relations with mapnik (e.g. route="hiking"
relations that link multiple ways), using a 'standard' postgresql database
created by osm2pgsql if possible.

I see that osm2pgsql using the "default" default.style file creates a
'route' column in planet_osm_line, but I am not sure if this is created from
route relations, or just ways tagged with 'route'?

There is another table planet_osm_rels, which looks like it might be the
thing I need, but I am not sure how to write the SQL to extract the
geometries of all of the ways in the relation for rendering.   Arrays within
tables look daunting...

Does anyone have an example of this they can point me to please?

Thanks

Graham.

--
Graham Jones