Hi,

How about adding one more component between the external database and the
related OSM API for converting data coming from WFS service or GML file
into OSM format?  There will be hundreds of Inspire download services out
there rather soon and many of them will probably be public. Some reading
about the download services
http://inspire.jrc.ec.europa.eu/documents/Network_Services/INSPIRE%20Draft%20Technical%20Guidance%20Download%20%28Version%202.0%29.pdf

Member states must make available the compulsory datasets described in the
Inspire directive but member states will naturally use the same
infrastructure for delivering other spatial data as well.

I do not know if it is easy or not to convert GML data that comes from WFS
server into OSM.xml. Somebody interested can have a try. Some municipality
border data is here
http://188.64.1.61/cgi-bin/tinyows?service=WFS&version=1.1.0&request=GetFeature&typeName=lv:municipalities&srsName=EPSG:4326

and the corresponding schema comes with this request
http://188.64.1.61/cgi-bin/tinyows?service=WFS&version=1.1.0&request=DescribeFeatureType&typeName=lv:municipalities

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Jaak Laineste wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  Based on my own long-time thinking and small talk in WhereCamp Berlin
> I created request for comments on kind of different approach to
> imports called meta-mapping.
>
>  Core of the idea is to avoid external data imports and reserve OSM
> database for what was meant for: community-sourced (manual) mapping. But
it is not plain "banning imports", it is to provide alternative tool (I
call it OpenMetaMap) which enables to link various external data sources
with OSM data, with much better flexibility than with current import
approach.