Hi All,

Snapshot Server is a rails app that can host .osm files and serve them
out via map calls. The main use for this is to serve Vector Background
Layers to clients like Potlatch 2 to help with mapping.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Snapshot_Server

The latest release allows one installed version to host multiple
projects, which is a huge gain and the single most asked-for feature.
In addition, I've given the user interface an overhaul and there's a
per-project breakdown of "completion" stats. You can see an example
installation, being used for a UK-based cycling project currently in
the demo stages, at
http://gravitystorm.dev.openstreetmap.org/cnxc-snapshot/ .

Code is available on github, and I'm happy to provide support and
answer any questions. Thanks go to Cyclestreets for funding further
development work last week.

https://github.com/gravitystorm/snapshot-server

I hope this will encourage more people to think "background layer"
rather than "bulk import" next time they have an interesting .osm file
to use!

Cheers,
Andy