I can only find a handful of mentions about creating an OGR driver for
OSM files [0][1][2], and those are several years old. Has anyone else
considered writing one? I don't think this group is terribly
interested in it because we have many other robust tools for
converting OSM data from and to other formats. However I think an OGR
driver would lower the barrier to entry for using OSM data for those
who aren't familiar with any of these other tools, and don't need the
power they offer.

Right now I'm only thinking about a read-only implementation. Basing
the driver off of one of the existing XML-based drivers like KML or
GPX. Possibly revive this as a GSoC idea?

-Josh

[0]: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2007-October/019168.html
[1]:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GSoC_Applications_2008#Openstreetmap_OGR_driver_Olga_Mardar