From: Arthur Richards <aricha...@wikimedia.org>
Date: Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] Fwd: FOSDEM calls for devroom organizers and main
track speakers
To: Siebrand <mazel...@xs4all.nl>, Wikimedia developers <
wikitec...@lists.wikimedia.org>
Cc: mediawik...@lists.wikimedia.org

It would be awesome if we could put together a devroom at FOSDEM.

Over the last couple of years, FOSDEM has become my favorite
conference. The ethos of the conference is fantastic - totally
grassroots, transparent, and open. It draws an unbelievable crowd. The
technical breadth and depth of the talks is generally impressive. And
the Wikimedia/Mediawiki-related talks pack the rooms - at least they
did the last couple of years. We should have a much bigger presence at
this event - from my perspective, it seems like it is a fantastic
learning, community building, and recruiting opportunity - perhaps
even more so than most of the other conferences at which we have a
presence.

If folks think this would be something cool to do, it might also be
worth teaming with some other similarly-minded orgs with some overlap
- like Mozilla, Creative Commons, OLPC, CiviCRM, etc. From the
invitation for proposals, it sounds like this would increase our odds
at securing a devroom, it would certainly help us further
cross-pollinate, and ultimately strengthen the broader open source
community.

What do you all think?

Arthur

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Siebrand Mazeland <s.mazel...@xs4all.nl>
wrote:
> Forwarded from fos...@lists.fosdem.org. Subscribe at
>
> Siebrand

> Subject: [FOSDEM] FOSDEM calls for devroom organizers and main track
speakers
> From:    "Tias Guns" <t...@fosdem.org>
> Date:    Sun, August 12, 2012 14:40
> To:      "Fosdem Announce" <fos...@lists.fosdem.org>
>
> <<< help spread the word and make FOSDEM awesome >>>
>

> FOSDEM is a non-commercial event offering open source communities a
> place to meet, share ideas and collaborate. It is renowned for being
> highly developer-oriented and brings together 5000+ geeks from all over
> the world. FOSDEM will take place in Brussels, Belgium on the 2nd and
> 3rd of February 2013.
>
> We invite proposals for *devrooms* and *main track talks*:
>

> *Main Track Talks*
> The main tracks host high-quality seminars for a broad and technical
> audience. Every track is organized around a theme (security, kernel,
> collaboration, ...). They are held in the two biggest auditoria and last
> 50 minutes. Each of the talks is given by a speaker who gets their
> travel and accommodation costs reimbursed.
>
> To apply for a FOSDEM Main Track talk, visit
> https://fosdem.org/2013/call_for_main_speakers.html
>
> To suggest a main track speaker that we should invite, mail
> prog...@fosdem.org
>

> *Devrooms*
> A devroom is a 'developer room' in which open source communities can
> organize their own schedule, made of presentations, brainstorming and
> hacking sessions. Our goal is to stimulate developer collaboration and
> cross-pollination between projects.
>
> Each year we receive more requests than we can host. To better achieve
> our goals, preference will be given to *proposals involving multiple,
> collaborating projects*. Projects with similar goals/domains that make
> separate requests will be asked to co-organize a devroom under their
> common theme.
>
> To propose organizing a devroom, visit
> https://fosdem.org/2013/call_for_devrooms.html
>
> Note! Linux distributions should apply to the dedicated distribution
> mini-conference:
> https://fosdem.org/2013/distrominiconf.html
>

> *Key Dates*
> - 1 October: deadline for devroom proposals
> - mid October: devroom announcements
> - 1 November: deadline main track proposals
> - mid November: main track announcements
> - 2 and 3 February: FOSDEM 2013

Arthur Richards
Software Engineer, Mobile
[[User:Awjrichards]]
IRC: awjr
+1-415-839-6885 x6687

Katie Filbert
Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
filbe...@gmail.com
@filbertkm / @wikimediadc