On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM, jpk <_...@jpk.is> wrote:
>> All tiles at z23 and greater are solid green-ish (#b5d0d0, to be
>> exact).  Poking through the mapnik style, I see this color is used as
>> the background color for the Map element (osm.xml, line 6).  Changing
>> that color changes the color I see for these solid tiles.  I'm not yet
>> knowledgeable when it comes to mapnik but in trying to digest the
>> style files, nothing struck me as explicitly causing this behavior at
>>>z22.  Additionally, I tried MapQuest's style (found here:
>> https://github.com/MapQuest/MapQuest-Mapnik-Style) and found the same
>> thing (except instead of solid #b5d0d0, you get their wavy light-blue
>> water texture).  Is this a style issue?  A mapnik issue?  renderd or
>> mod_tile?
>
> Don't the styles for Mapnik have a scale (zoom) range? This makes it
> possible to render objects differently depending on the zoom level.
>
> I'm not familiar with the Mapnik styles for the main OSM style or
> MapQuest's but it's possible that the style rules defined to work at
> z18 may not render any object beyond some higher zoom level leading to
> the default background that you're seeing.

(Oops, didn't reply to the list.)

Yep, they do.  That was my first thought, but there's no min/maxscale
things defined for >z18.  From what I gather, everything that renders
at z18 doesn't set a minscale to 18, so tiles for z19 to z22 render
the same stuff as z18 just "scaled" up (which is fine by me).  I'm not
sure why z23 is the magic number where it breaks.

--
john p. kiffmeyer