> Not sure I buy into this dichotomy. Application level integration != user
> facing integration. Or in other words: it's thinkable to have features on
> openstreetmap.org that appear seamlessly integrated to the user but are
> powered from a separate tier - separate application or separate application on
> separate server. No?

I'm sorry for the caused confusion. I was talking about the backend. In
general, almost all clearly stated wishes are for new backend services.

What I wanted to clarify: for scalability, realiability and maintainabilty it
is much more desirable to have a specialized database, specialized API and one
or more enthusiastic maintainers of that for each purose than to have a big
multi-purpose main database.

This applies even to services that look like they could be easily done
on-the-fly by the main database, but in fact would create significant load, in
particular changeset queries by coordinate.

The user experience is a completely different story. A good user interface can
and should integrate all APIs that are useful for its purpose. Yet again, the
strength of OSM is that different user interfaces for the same API can exist.

Cheers,

Roland