On 2013-01-08, at 12:59 PM, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nicker...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A web based loading screen would be a big plus for me.
> I had a quick look and found a 5mb shapefile. I would imagine 10mb is
> probably the largest I have. Not sure how that converts to .osm filesize.
>
> Rob

It can vary greatly by the type of shapefile and what data you drop but for a
31M building file I got a 155M output .osm. As a snapshot DB it'll be 2x-3x
larger.

This would make your shapefile 25M as .osm and about 60M of database space.

Just for reference, the largest single .osm I've had ogr2osm generate was 25G
and I'm looking at applications that involve planet-sized amounts of data
across multiple files.