On Wednesday 13 March 2013, Jochen Topf wrote:

> Another option would be to split up the long straight lines resulting
> from the splitting into shorter pieces. If the pieces are short
> enough, it should be okay. Maybe there is some tool around that can
> do that easily? I don't want to put more and more of these things
> into OSMCoastline, because they are not really related to coastlines,
> but general issues with large objects.

Not quite actually - in case of splitting the problem does not stem from
the long segments but from the fact that you split one polygon but do
not split the edge of the adjacent one at the same time.  If you'd do
that the edges could have any length, they would still fit after the
reprojection (although you could get intersections between the actual
coastline and the splitting lines).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/