On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Pavel Melnikov <positro...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> I'd like to apply for this year's Summer of Code to code something
> interesting and useful for OpenStreetMap, and as I enjoy mobile
> developing, I'd like something mobile) I have some questions about the
> procedure though.
>
> First is, since OSM projects will be hosted under OSGeo mentoring
> organization this year, will it mean that there would be less OSMprojects? I
> mean, there probably is some quota for projects per
> organization - and OSGeo certainly has projects of their own.

We'll get a portion of the slots that OSGeo gets. We have an agreement with
OSGeo about how many slots OSM gets but I'd rather not say how many in
order to encourage as many ideas as possible.

> And secondly, what is the community acceptance status of ideas on our GSoC'13
> wiki<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2013/Project_Ideas>
>  page?
> Are they proposed by a single person (possibly a to-be mentor) and need
> more discussion and refining here once application period starts?

Yes, the ideas presented there are usually proposed by a single person that
may or may not be a possible mentor. The students should use those ideas as
a base for their idea proposals.