I would like to suggest a bit more focus on the OSM source data related
documentation and data quality. The many loose/fuzzy definitions (if they
are definitions at all) allow wide freedom of interpretations. In turn,
these interpretations are causing many (but really many) logical errors.
As a rule these errors are constantly present in most of the OSM data
based mapping systems. Of course in the reference Slippymap too.

Let me illustrate the former notes with just a few examples.

-The natural=water tag related Wiki description opens for many various
interpretations (definitions by examples, as we know, present serious
methodological errors). Even an area fragment of a larger water area might
have this assigned. This is extensively used by editors to refine
coastline sections, as well as lake and river banks. They create virtual
"natural=water" objects, areas that slightly overlap for example a
coastline section and have only a few long edges inside the larger water
area. The logic is simple: to change a long coastline section is
dangerous, so doing changes by smaller lakes is much less risky and the
result is almost the same. But this is very wrong. As a result, the
correction is just partly performed, many islands disappear (or if the
borders are rendered, mystical/strange lines appear on top of the water)
and a huge amount of data redundancy is added.

To see this, anyone can perform the following experiment: render/display
the lakes area object layer using for example light blue for fill and
black for the border lines. Render/display over this the planet_land area
object layer (the land bodies created from the coastline data) using for
example a yellow color fill and no borders. Now, if you pan along the
coastline in an approprite scale, you will see lots of strange black-blue
spots. When these are rendered in the opposite order, these will slightly
and on certain places overwrite the coastline. In a way I could say that
the coastline data based land-borders are actually never complete.

-The waterway=riverbank tag is used for presenting river section areas.
Most of the rivers are still tagged and uploaded using this key/value
pair. Though, in the "New tagging" section is a note that ".riverbanks
aren't treated as areas any more." Here, it is quite legal to interpret
the tag as a poly-line/way that represents a water/land border section.
And this is used by editors very often. The consequences are, again, lots
of logical errors. For example, look at the extract from the Slippymap,

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.0542
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.0542&lon=-121.5038&zoom=12&layers=M>
&lon=-121.5038&zoom=12&layers=M

As you can see, only on this little extract there are many, many errors
caused by the described misunderstanding (water as land, islands as
water). There are many open polygonal line sections here, though connected
properly to other area sections. And so on.

Of course a robust data-preparation process could coop with these kind of
logical errors (I estimate that around 90% of all logical errors is
resolvable programmatically). But this requires lot of unnecessary work.
To refine the documentation should be much more pragmatic and effective.

Regards, Sandor.