> Since the solution you made doesn't scale either. (Try browsing any
city/town in The Netherlands.) How is it an improvement?

Well while http://osmlab.github.io/latest-changes is not fast right now
there's a clear and scalable path to make it fast. Speeding up
/latest-changes is much simpler as you'll never have to include history.
Essentially what we'd need is a tiled data rendition of the latest status
of OSM data. No history.

Clearly, creating a tiled data source is probably not just a weekend
project either but it's conceptually a solved problem in OSM.