Martin

The images in the Highway tag usage wiki page give implicitely instructions to
take care of the quality of the road to classify. But it is stated at the
beginning of the page, that it is sometimes useful to adapt highway tag usage
to the local physical conditions. And this is the case for many countries from
the south where road conditions are quite different from what we expect in
countries from the north.

While mapping for Mali, we were confronted with mappers not able to classify
properly the roads. Too many were identified as tracks. In fact, we have to
think differently from countries of the north. For
example, north of Mali, you have major roads not paved and badly
damaged at the rainy season. They are still major roads and should be
classified this way.

The Highway_Tag_Africa page insist on a simple hierarchy to classify the roads.
 We make a clear distinction between the hierarchy and the condition of the
road. Other tags are used to take care of the surface and road conditions. In
later discussions on the HOT list, people suggested that this apply to a
majority of countries from the south. In fact, we often have roads badly
classified. People working for HOT activations agree in general that these
rules are adapted to the context of the countries were we work.

Pierre