Erik Albers wanted me (as dev@ moderator) to pass this along without
subscribing to the list:

Dear Developers,

Today, like every year on Valentine's Day, the Free Software
Foundation Europe is running its "I love Free Software" campaign: a
day to show and celebrate your love for Free Software.
That is why I take my chance today to thank you, the developers of
OsmAnd for all the work you are doing! I also made a blogpost about it
[1], but here is your personalized version:

Last year in summer, I was doing a bicycle trip for some days through
the northern part of Germany, especially through the Mecklenburgische
Seenplatte and along the Baltic Sea. Generally, when I am on bicycle
trips, I prefer to cycle aside from roads and motorways but along the
paths, the hiking trails or even dirt tracks. That was exactly the
time, when I fell in love with OsmAnd.
This is because it gives me the ability to use really good maps for
navigation with Free Software. But this is especially true, because I
can download any maps of the world and use it afterwards completely
offline. When I cycle long distances through landscape (where you miss
power plugs as well as network connectivity most of the time) I can
stay in flight-mode all the time and keep on cycling with navigation
for days. That's awesome.
In addition, your maps are really good and detailed and I find even
tiny hiking trails to follow - I just love it.

Last, but not least, I really appreciate that you can download OsmAnd
from F-droid, the Free Software App Repository, so I can use all
OsmAnd features without the need of any Google account.

In short: Dear OsmAnd developers, thank you very much for this useful
app. Keep the good work going, I love you guys!

   Erik

[1] http://blogs.fsfe.org/eal/2014/02/14/i-love-free-software-osmand/

- --
Erik Albers | http://fsfe.org/about/albers
Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) - Campaigns & Community