> I think we need to move to a more strict parsing of MPs, accepting only
> new-style MPs and old-style MPs where all outers have identical
> non-deleted[2]
> tags and the relation itself has no non-deleted tags.

+1

There is really only one usecase where I abuse the fuzziness of the old
style: urban squares. While you often can't walk on all of their surface
(e.g. there might be a fountain, a sculpture, buildings, green, etc. to
exclude from highway pedestrian) the name will usually be for all of it.
Adding only a name also doesn't solve it, because then it is not clear
which kind of name it is (typology). This isn't really solved with old
style MPs neither, of course, but at least this is less obvious and might
be interpreted correctly by a human ;-)