On 6/7/2016 2:44 AM, Sven Geggus wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to install all required fonts for openstreetmap-carto on debian
stable.

Two fonts seem to be troublesome:
"Mukti Narrow Bold" and "gargi Medium"

While the former seems to be there
(/usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-beng-extra/MuktiNarrowBold.ttf) but is not
found by fc-match -s for some reason, the other one just seems to have gone
from the Debia/Ubuntu repositories. It seems to have been replace by
"Gargi Regular".

Any hint on how to install?

I worked around the gargi font problem by downgrading the fonts-deva-extra
package to 2.0, but I havee no Idea about the Mukti dont.

As Ubuntu and Debian packages are mostly common, I expect that the package name problems I had when switching Ubuntu versions are present on Debian too. A lot of apt-cache searching might be required to find the current names.

For the specific issue of gargi, on Ubuntu 14.04 it is /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-indic-fonts-core/gargi.ttf from ttf-indic-fonts-core, and /usr/share/fonts/truetype/Gargi/Gargi.ttf is supplied from fonts-gargi.

fc-query names the former gargi and the latter Gargi. They are not the same weight either, gargi is Medium with a weight of 100 and Gargi is Regular with a weight of 80. gargi has better coverage and more capabilities, but a lower version.

Something I've found when researching fonts for Asian languages is that the versioning, releases, name consistency, and other releasing engineering matters are often inadequate. Coupled to this, many webpages for fonts disappear after a few years.

If someone can come up with appropriate font names and package names that work on Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, Debian stable, and Debian testing, please open an issue: https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues