tools, has stoked my interest in several GSoC projects. I’d like to use
your expertise to workshop one of my ideas.

I’ve been following the discussion on reforming the iD taskbar (e.g., issue
#3123 <https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/3123>), and thought that
adding notes to iD (issue #2629
<https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/2629>) would serve as a good
starting point for the other debated features. I suggest that viewing notes
should be added to iD as a toggle, similar to how it is used within main
OSM web page. On the OSM home web page, no notes are visible until a user
clicks the `add a note` button. Within iD, this could be more like a
toggle, where notes are shown/hidden and can be added when shown. In trying
to keep the changes to a minimum, when the notes button is toggled on, a
drawer to edit a new note would appear from the left (much like it does
from the right on the home web page). The two images below show the current
notes button, and how an iD notes button would be highlighted when toggled.
If a new notes button is accepted, I would then like to try implementing
some of the other iD taskbar redesign ideas, such as the orthogonal /
building drawing tool (issue #2699
<https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/pull/2699>).

To do this, I propose spending the first week of GSoC orienting myself with
the way that notes are displayed on the home web page, and figure out how
to visualize them in iD via D3. The next two weeks would be spent on
implementing the changes, allowing for 9 more weeks of work on other issues.

What I would like to know is 1) how difficult adding notes to iD will be,
and 2) if the timeline that I’ve suggested seems reasonable, particularly
from those who maintain these issues, such as bhousel. I would expect that
once I’ve added notes to iD, I would take stock of how much time is left in
the program and reevaluate the feasibility of my remaining goals. I’ve been
practicing tackling smaller bugs, such as issue #4824
<https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/4842> that I just added, and I
have been attending the EWG meetings to get further feedback.

Thank you all for your time and contributions,

-Thomas Hervey

(OSM Wiki username: Me360ot)

(website: https://thomas-hervey.github.io/)
--