I'd encourage you to look further into the Mapzen Terrain Tiles:
https://mapzen.com/documentation/terrain-tiles/

I ran the most recent update of Terrain Tiles almost immediately before we
shut down, so they have fairly recent/modern data in them. Also, they're
completely free: Amazon agreed to host them on S3 without any "requester
pays" restrictions. You can read more about that here:
https://registry.opendata.aws/terrain-tiles/.

If you find those don't meet your needs, I'd be interested in hearing why.

-Ian