Hi,

This weekend at FOSDEM I gave a talk on "Hikar", my augmented reality project
for walkers/hikers making use of OSM data to show trails and virtual signposts
on the device. (see http://www.free-map.org.uk/common/hikar.html for info and
screenshots).

At the moment however it only works in Britain, Ireland and Greece due to the
constraints of my server. Would be great to get it working in the whole of
Europe (I realise the world might be a bit much at this stage!), so I wondered
if anyone had any affordable hosting recommendations? Hikar downloads GeoJSON
from a server containing OSM data (see below) and caches it on the device.

Basically what I need is an OSM PostGIS database (of the type used for Mapnik
rendering) but it only needs to contain highways and selected POIs (as nodes) -
nothing else. Ideally I also need PHP with the postgres extension as that is
what my service is written in at the moment. However, if the best solution was
an environment without PHP, I would be prepared to rewrite in say node.js.

Would be looking for hosting of not much more than approximately £20/EUR 20 per
month, perhaps £30/EUR 30 as a maximum.

My current server has 1GB of memory and can just about cope with the areas
above, so I suspect for the whole of Europe more memory would be required.
Storage requirements for Britain, Ireland and Greece is perhaps (as an
estimate) 10GB or a little less.

The same service would also serve OpenTrailView, a recently resurrected project
to create a fully FOSS StreetView-type system for walkers and hikers. (see
opentrailview.org - _very_ early demo!)

As an alternative, I was wondering how acceptable it would be to use the
Overpass API to obtain the data? Downloaded data would be cached on the device
so for a given area, data would only need to be downloaded once.

Thanks,

Nick