Mar 31, 2019, 5:40 PM by sandor...@gmail.com:

> >>Can you link some objects that you consider as tagged in a wrong way and
>

> >>some similar ones tagged in way that you consider correct?
>

> >>Currently it is unclear to me what is the problem.
>

> These notes have triggered my attention from the Re to my original mail. It
> is hard to communicate if you really don not see the problem, though I think
> you meant  something else. What more, whether the referenced issues are
> problems or not, depends on the individual criteria. Anyway, I need to add
> some notes and representative examples to clarify the dilemma: is the recent
> practice referencing coastline objects from other objects correct or not?
>

> -Coastline object covered by a river >
> https://osm.org/go/ZE6RWif_--?layers=T&way=22404175
> <https://osm.org/go/ZE6RWif_--?layers=T&way=22404175>>  . The object is in
> the coastline data erroneously left there when the other object has been
> moved out from the coastline data. This island in the river will never show
> up in the maps unless it is moved out from the coastline and added to the
> river data as a hole.
>

> -Similar example here > https://osm.org/go/0YQozaPCa?way=503202265
> <https://osm.org/go/0YQozaPCa?way=503202265>>  but with the additional tag
> place=island. If a renderer assumes in addition that this place is an area
> and renders the places it will properly show up un the map. But even then,
> the object is actually never part of the river object. All tags should be
> removed and the polygon should be moved to the river data as a hole.

Looks like something forgotten during creating
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3329487>
I now fixed this and yes - it made no sense here (it either should be within a
water area represented
by natural=coastline or inner way of that multipolygon).

> -As I mentioned in the mail, we have similar issues here >
> https://osm.org/go/55iNMeSpU-?layers=HD&way=482531057
> <https://osm.org/go/55iNMeSpU-?layers=HD&way=482531057>>   with the
> natural=land objects. Even if it is declared deprecated many years ago this
> tag is still actively used and there is a large number of natural=land
> objects in the source data. Note that logically the suggestion to use the
> place=island tag instead is just an implicit reimplementation of the
> natural=land objects.

I fixed this case. And yes, we still have many natural=land that should be
removed.
Fortunately this misuse of place=island is not supported by renderers, so it
should discourage
mistagging.

Is it possible to have correctly tagged place=island on a way that is not inner
way of multipolygon
and without natural=coastline? Maybe validators can detect such cases as likely
invalid.

> -There are also many coastline objects in lakes like here >
> https://osm.org/go/JzzBB0Vmt--?layers=D&way=440616441
> <https://osm.org/go/JzzBB0Vmt--?layers=D&way=440616441>>  . The same comments
> are valid as in case of rivers. The question whether this object is a lake or
> river is something else.

For now I also updated it to be inner of the multipolygon.

> -A similar lake related example is here >
> https://osm.org/go/e6GG5QpcE-?way=615864002
> <https://osm.org/go/e6GG5QpcE-?way=615864002>>  but the coastline object is
> perfectly declared as a hole in a lake. Still there might be a problem. The
> coastline tag will suggest that the object will primarily be processed in the
> context of Planet land masses. And, because it is land-on-land it might be
> easily removed from the coastline data. In the similar cases any tags should
> be removed except the inner tag.

I removed natural=coastline.

> -Finally, the major issue that has motivated me to start this discussion, the
> coastline referencing from objects like fiord/bay and sea. These, usually
> monster sized objects, are difficult to understand. Why, who is using them,
> what was the purpose to upload them? Even if someone uses them to see the
> name variations or read the linked Wikipedia texts, the price is very high.

See also https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/imagico/diary/47432
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/imagico/diary/47432> and other imagico
posts criticizing this tagging method from a bit different angle.