On 04/08/2020 19:37, Andrew Hain wrote:
Sorry for an email that newer contributors don’t understand.

How much have Potlatch 1 and amf_controller been used recently?

How many of the uses were undeletes?

What is the recommended alternative when browser Flash isn’t available?

I can't answer the general question, but where I tend to use Potlatch 1 is when I quickly want to:

1. Quickly restore an object to a previous version of my choice
2. See what has been deleted in an area over time

It's possible to do (1) with the perl revert scripts.  I don't believe it's as straightforward (to "a previous version of my choice") with JOSM, though if you're prepared to spend time with partial reverts you should be able to achieve the same thing. With the perl scripts you actually have more choice up front about how you handle dependencies; with JOSM you get more chance to do it interactively - neither of these approaches is right or wrong; each is relevant at different times.

You do can do something a bit like (2) with Overpass if you know a date and time upon which the thing you want to restore existed. In areas where there has been a lot of previous activity, e.g. around "null island" - https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=potlatch&changeset=88315342#map=19/0.00008/0.00005 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=potlatch&changeset=88315342#map=19/0.00008/0.00005> _you'll either wait ages for data to load or it'll fail altogether, whereas https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/WLl (an overpass query for any way in that area at a given date) is instantaneous.

If I want to do what what you might call a "simple object undelete" then JOSM's the best place to start anyway.  For "simple changeset revert" it may be too; the exceptions being if you want to revert a lot of changesets or expect to have to do a lot of reconciliation, in which case JOSM's interactive approach is unlikely to be ideal.

Best Regards,

Andy