The OSMF Board is looking at restarting the Engineering Working Group with a revised scope to include handling paid software development. This scope needs to be developed with existing and new volunteers, but my ideas are that it would include

- Google Summer of Code,
- managing development to be paid by the OSMF by contracts and grants, and
- collaborating with other organizations for multi-organization grants.

It would do this by by
- placing calls for proposals for paid work on topics like top ten tasks;
- accepting other proposals;
- defining an approximate distribution of OSMF funds for development between primary/secondary/tertiary services, external services, and new services; - encouraging applications from skilled individuals who aren't professional developers, professional contractors, companies, and others.

Once the scope and funding distribution guidelines are defined we would want to start with low-risk projects involving experienced people who need less management.

If you are interested in changing the EWG to handle these roles, please let me know.