Greetings OVS Team,

We have been working on adding OVS support for the IEEE/IETF Auto-Attach SPBm
draft standard. This standard describes a compact method of using IEEE 802.1AB
Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) together with a IEEE 802.1aq Shortest Path
Bridging (SPBm) network to automatically attach network devices to individual
services in a SPBm network.  The intent here is to allow network applications
and devices using OVS to be able to easily take advantage of features offered
by industry standard SPBm networks.  Details of the Auto-Attach standard can be
found here.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-unbehagen-lldp-spb-00

In addition to this standards work we have proposed Auto-Attach to the IEEE
802.1Q technical committee for inclusion into that standard. This IEEE
standards work is ongoing and the initial reaction from the standards committee
has been very positive.

Specifically we have modified the OVS source code to integrate basic LLDP
protocol support as required to implement the Auto-Attach (AA) standard.  We
modeled our LLDP code changes after other protocols currently supported by OVS
(BFD, CFM, etc.).  We have chosen to base this OVS LLDP work on the open source
LLDPD project headed by Vincent Bernat.  Details of the LLDPD project can be
found here.

http://vincentbernat.github.io/lldpd

Although the LLDPD project provides a full LLDP implementation as per the IEEE
802.1AB standard, our initial offering focuses on the core pieces of LLDP
required to provide AA support.  We have plans in place to extend this work to
include full LLDP support within OVS.

We have reached a point in our development where we would like to engage the
OVS development community regarding how best to contribute our work upstream.
We have integrated core LLDP support into OVS and have augmented that to
support Auto-Attach.  We have extended OVSDB and unixctl adding new commands to
support the configuration, status display, and statistics display of
Auto-Attach.  We have added the associated man pages for these new commands.
We have extensively tested the Auto-Attach feature within both the standalone
WindRiver Linux and the VmWare vSphere environments.  We recently demonstrated
this technology at VMworld 2014. We have also confirmed that all OVS unit tests
pass with our code changes in place.  While there is more Auto-Attach work to
be done we feel we are at a point where it makes sense to start presenting this
new Auto-Attach feature upstream for your consideration.

This is our first engagement with the OVS team. We have familiarized ourselves
with the upstream procedures as defined within the file .../CONTRIBUTING and
are working to ensure conformance to OVS coding standards. We have viewed
various videos and tutorials describing the OVS development processes and best
practices. We are not sanctioned OVS source code committers.

We welcome any additional suggestions/guidance you might have before we proceed.

Sincerely,

Dennis Flynn - Avaya
email: drfl...@avaya.com<mailto:drfl...@avaya.com>

Ludovic Beliveau - WindRiver