On 03/05/15 02:39, John Fastabend wrote:

The intent was to reserve space in the tables for l2, l3, user space,
and whatever else is needed. This reservation needs to come from the
administrator because even the kernel doesn't know how much of my
table space I want to reserve for l2 vs l3 vs tc vs ... The sizing
of each of these tables will depend on the use case. If I'm provisioning
L3 networks I may want to create a large l3 table and no 'tc' table.
If I'm building a firewall box I might want a small l3 table and a
large 'tc' table. Also depending on how wide I want my matches in the
'tc' case I may consume more or less resources in the hardware.

Would kernel boot/module options passed to the driver not suffice?
That implies a central authority that decides what these table size
slicing looks like.

Once the reservation of resources occurs we wouldn't let user space
arbitrarily write to any table but only tables that have been
explicitly reserved for user space to write to.

How would one allow for a bypass to create tables (a write command)
but not to write to said tables? likely i am missing something
subtle.

cheers,
jamal