OVS userspace can work with the OVS kernel module distributed with the
kernel. This provides a straightforward workaround.

I don't understand the comment about updating the FAQ/NEWS version
matrix. It already states that 2.3 supports Linux 2.6.32 to 3.14, and
explicitly mentions that modified kernels like RHEL can break the
build for the kernel module in the OVS tree.

I briefly looked at this, and it involves more than just
cherry-picking my commit from above. All of the required patches
should be available on master, so it should be primarily a matter of
figuring out exactly which commits need to be cherry-picked back to
branch-2.3. If you're eager to look into exactly what's needed, that
would be useful information; otherwise I expect that someone will look
into it when they get some free cycles.