> My use case for trying it was actually different.  I had written code
> that was crashing, and I found this a bit more convenient than getting a
> bt from a core dump.
>
> Indeed, I could have just attached to it after it started running.

May be we can add another flag, say '-r' that will do 'exec run".   If
you agree, I can
send a separate patch to add those flags.
> It's really a question of which use case has to do an extra step.  If
> you wanted to set a breakpoint before it starts, you could kill it
> quickly with Ctrl-C, set your breakpoints, and 'run' again.  That seems
> less clean though, I suppose.

Yes, I agree it is not as clean, for example, the pid will change and
the connection
socket will be reset.  On the other hand, there is nothing I can think
of will break, so this use case
should be valid for the time being.  On the third hand, if we end up
with another flag, there is
no reason to encourage this usage.