On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 1:15 AM, mark.d.gray <mark.d.g...@intel.com> wrote:
> Pravin Shelar wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 7:30 PM, Jesse Gross <je...@nicira.com> wrote:

>>> Can't these be detected and data structures sized automatically? OVS
>>> already has a ton of configuration knobs so I agree with Ethan that it
>>> is not helpful to further push this onto the user who is not going to
>>> understand this.
>>

>> I am fine with automatically configuring it at boot up. I missed that
>> is what Ethan was referring.
>

> A user may not have all the information required to make a decision like
> that but a cloud orchestrator would. It could make a decision along the
> lines of - "I have 10 virtual machines on theis compute node and I want to
> allocate about 27Ms of L3 cache for the VMs and the rest for Open vSwitch
> which will allow me to hit my SLA". In this case, having a runtime
> configurable option would be desireable.

I can't say that I agree with this statement for the vast majority of
use cases. Expecting to have that tight control over workloads and
hardware configurations (not to mention understanding by the
administrator) isn't really realistic outside of a benchmark or
hermetically sealed box.

If you want to make data structures sized based on various factors
that you think might affect performance, that is fine with me.
However, please do it automatically so that all users can benefit from
it rather just a small minority. In general, I think this is the
direction that the DPDK extensions to OVS need to move before it can
become more widely deployed.