I'm trying to figure out what the proper semantics are supposed to be
for resubmit with in_ports, which is being used in some of the
OpenStack neutron firewalling flows.

If we define the following flow table:

table=0 in_port=1,actions=resubmit:0
table=0 in_port=0,actions=goto_table:1
table=1 in_port=0 actions=2
(default drop)

Is the resubmit using port 0 supposed to apply to only the next
lookup, or all subsequent lookups?

As a data point, packets ingressing port 1 with the above table on
OVS-2.3 would match the first two rules, then miss in table 1 and be
dropped.

While this particular case might look a bit odd, mixing resubmit and
goto_table, it has further repercussions when we start adding
recirculation into the mix due to things like conntrack. The above
example is just the minimal case for argument's sake, but I can
provide a more full example if someone thinks it would help the
discussion.