On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 06:08:02PM -0700, Sabyasachi Sengupta wrote:
> >It's a little unconventional for us to use a wall clock time for this.
> >I'd be more inclined to report it as "N seconds ago" or "N ms ago".  Any
> >particular reason to use a wall clock time?
>
> I've seen that all BFD other outputs use "now -/+" convention, but just that
> I thought wall clock time was more user readable, especially because last
> flap could be hrs/days ago. If we imagine that this output (last flap time)
> could be parsed through a remote script as to which link went down and when,
> its probably easier for them to see the absolute time rather than having to
> convert it (note that the notion of 'now' could be different in both
> machines?). I'd think that it makes more sense for next/last TX times
> (should continue to) be in milliseconds as that reflects a more ongoing
> activity.

It's much easier for a script to parse a number than a date.

I doubt that anyone in real life cares whether the last flap was
yesterday or a week ago.  If the output says 32 seconds, I look for
problems; if it says 138923 seconds, that's no big deal.

> I understand that this will be based on what ovs-vswitchd 'thinks' as to
> when the last flap occurred. Its still not the accurate information as
> ovs-vswitchd might itself have restarted in between the last flap and when
> the user actually reads it. This probably means that we save this info in
> ovsdb and read it through a separate CLI, but probably we can keep it simple
> for now?

I don't think there's a need to store it.  I imagine that restarting OVS
often causes a flap anyway.